NEA and BetterLesson are jointly launching a Master Teacher Project (MTP). The MTP is part of NEA’s comprehensive association-wide strategy to galvanize our commitment to ensuring student success.
There are three main goals associated with the MTP:
- To create a year’s worth of CCSS-aligned, classroom-ready lessons developed by educators available on an open-source platform.
- To recognize exceptional teachers and provide them with professional development and the opportunity to become teacher leaders.
- To have the NEA, in partnership with BetterLesson, expand its core work to have greater focus on teacher instructional practice and the implementation of the CCSS.
The scope of the NEA Master Teacher Project will consist of:
- An initial cohort of 30 K-5 Math (5/grade) and 65 K-12 ELA (5/grade) teachers that will begin in fall 2013 (Better Lesson previously developed math 6-12).
- This cohort of 95 Master Teachers (MTs) will be selected in early summer (June/July), trained in late summer (early August), and begin working with our coaches to share their CCSS-aligned lessons in late August or early September.
- These MTs will be engaged with the program for roughly 12 months (Sept 2013 - August 2014), and will share both their full course-worth of lessons and their rich multimedia hints, tips and reflections from those lessons on the MTP platform.
- Coaches will both train and work with these teachers throughout the process to ensure that the content is truly rooted in the CCSS.
- The creation of an interactive experience around the lessons – via an “Ask the MT” feature or similar functionality.
- MTs will receive a $15,000 stipend for their work over the coming year.
- All MTs will be NEA members.
- Application deadline is July 15, 2013 extended to July 22nd. To be extended no more than one week
You can download the flyer or go directly to the application here: